Book Review: Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein




Review of Code Name Verity

    After finishing Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein, I wanted to throw the book against a wall. From the hilarious lines to the heartbreaking scenes, this book took you through an emotional rollercoaster. The novel is told through the different perspectives of two women during World War II in 1943. Both are  fighting for their lives against the Nazis, not knowing if each other are alive.


Verity:

    Verity, her code name, tells the story in the first half of the book. As a British prisoner, the Nazi gives her two choices -- tell the truth of her mission or be executed. Verity chooses the former, fighting for her life, as she “confesses” her work through writing. Through Verity’s words, we learn about the close friendship between her and a pilot, Maddie. 


Kittyhawk:

    Maddie, or her codename Kittyhawk, narrates the second part of the book. She is a pilot who, along with her passenger, Verity, crashes into Nazi-occupied France. The Nazi captures Verity, but Maddie successfully escapes. In an attempt to save her best friend from the torturous interrogation, Maddie, along with members of the French resistance, finds classified information about the whereabouts of Verity.


    Will the two friends ever reunite? Will they survive the harrowing experiences of war?


    Code Name Verity blew me away. Every detail was delicately weaved together to create such a  complex storyline. The climax of the novel still keeps me up at night. Wein delivers the story in such a way where everything is impactful. Despite the overall ominous feel of the novel, Wein manages to slip in some of the most hilarious lines I have ever read. The part that stood out the most, however, is the ending. I have a love-hate relationship with this ending. Don’t get me wrong -- the ending is an absolute masterpiece. Countless details are revealed, tying the entire novel together, making it impossible to describe the sheer complexity of the ending. However, the climax and ending take you through a completely different type of emotional rollercoaster. I never cry over books or movies, but after reading the last page of the novel, I just wanted to sob. It was beautiful and heartbreaking.


    Since historical fiction is my favorite genre, I have read a fair share of these books. Code Name Verity most definitely makes the top five. The writing style brings the plot together, and each page leaves you wanting to know more. I 10/10 recommend this book, especially for the plot and writing.


- Sarisa


Comments

  1. I love how you describe how you wanted to throw the book across the room. I think that's sometimes the sign of a really good book. Although I've never read it, I have this book, and after reading your review I definitely want to find time to read it. Thank you for your recommendation!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! This is an incredible review Sarisa!! It is beautifully crafted, I loved how you summarized the plot as well as explained the impact this book had on you. I've always wanted to read this, but never got the chance to do so. After reading your review, I'm definitely going to add this book to my reading list, and read it as soon as possible!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review, Sarisa! I love how you explained the plot and your emotions towards the book as you where reading it. This book sounds really angsty, so I'm not sure if I'd like it, but it seems really cool!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A review of Binti by Nnedi Okorafor!

Books I Read Because of the Cover

The Skies Belong to Us